There is nothing quite like driving up the coast of California. Starting at the southern tip of California in San Diego, winding up the California coast, across the Golden Gate Bridge and ending at Redwood National Park makes for an amazing road trip. Ready to take a road trip up the coast in style? Starting in Southern California and making our way up the coast, here are the top picks for luxury hotels along the way.
1. Hotel del Coronado1500 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118 | +1 619-435-6611 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
Built in 1888 and designated an official National Historic Landmark since 1977 is the iconic, Victorian-style Hotel del Coronado, the second largest wooden structure in the United States and . Located on 28 acres of beachfront property just across the San Diego Bay, the luxury hotel is a enormous with 7 floors and 680 rooms.
2. La Valencia Hotel
1132 Prospect St, La Jolla, CA 92037 | +1 858-454-0771 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
Situated atop La Jolla Cove, the historic, Mediterranean-style hotel has been the go-to in La Jolla since its opening in 1926. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, La Valencia Hotel exudes that Old California charm and its central location makes it the perfect choice from which to explore La Jolla Village.
3. The Montage30801 S Coast Hwy, Laguna Beach, CA 92651 | +1 866-271-6953 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
No one does it quite like the Montage. Resting on the edge of a cliff overlooking pristine beaches and sparkling water, the Montage is the answer to a perfect getaway.
4. The Balboa Bay Club1221 West Coast Hwy, Newport Beach, CA 92660 | +1 888-894-2788 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
Located on the bay front in Newport Beach, the Balboa Bay Club is five-stay luxury hotel and resort. Hop on a paddle board or rent a duffy and cruise around the bay. This is the perfect hotel to explore all that Newport Beach has to offer.
5. Shutters on the Beach1 Pico Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405 | +1 310-458-0030 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
The iconic hotel is the perfect blend of beach casual and high-style luxury. At Shutters on the Beach, you are in the heart of it all with the Santa Monica Pier only a block away. Rent a bicycle from the front desk and take off down Main Street and explore the fabulous city of Santa Monica.
6. San Ysidro Ranch900 San Ysidro Ln, Montecito, CA 93108 | +1 805-565-1700 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
Its almost like something out of a storybook. Beautiful gardens and elegant cottages make San Ysidro Ranch the perfect destination for travelers seeking natural beauty mixed with classic luxury. Nestled in the foothills of Montecito, the 500-acre property where JFK honeymooned is a tranquil oasis that will make you want to stay forever.
7. Post Ranch Inn47900 State Highway 1, Big Sur, CA | +1 831-667-2200 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
Since its opening in 1992, the Post Ranch Inn has been the ultimate luxury getaway. Resting on a cliff 1200 feet above the Pacific, the hotel is a sanctuary of romance, astonishing beauty and eco-luxury. Guests are chauffeured in a Lexus hybrid and the hotel uses a biodegradable cleaning system. Each of the 40 rooms are uniquely designed and offer either a ocean or mountain view. Keep the kids at home – this resort is for guests 18 and older.
8. Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay1 Miramontes Point Rd, Half Moon Bay | +1 650-712-7000 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
Reminiscent of a Scottish seaside cliff setting, this is by far the most luxurious hotel in Half Moon Bay. The 261 rooms are complete with Egyptian cotton linens and marble bathtubs – some with ocean views and fire pits. Surrounded by two championship golf courses, the property is also equipped with tennis courts, a 16,000-square-foot spa, and oceanfront dining offering locally inspired cuisine.
9. The Inn at Spanish Bay2700 17 Mile Dr, Pebble Beach, CA | +1 831-647-7500 | Website | Facebook | $$$$
Nestled between Del Monte Forest and the Pacific Ocean, the Inn at Spanish Bay is a golfer’s paradise. Play a round of golf at the inn’s true links course right out of Scottish tradition. If golf isn’t your thing, make a visit to the hotel’s 22,000-square-foot spa and salon and relax with a massage or body scrub. Each of the the luxurious 269 guest rooms are decorated with stylish yet comfortable furnishings offering breathtaking views of the grounds, pine forests or ocean.
10. Fairmont Hotel950 Mason St, San Francisco, California 94108 | +1 415-772-5000 | Website | Twitter | Facebook | $$$$
Central to the Financial District, Union Square, and Fishermans Wharf, this is the hotel of choice from which to explore all that San Francisco has to offer. Sitting atop Nob Hill, this historic hotel offers panoramic views of the city and bay. With 591 guest rooms, the hotel has three renowned restaurants as well as a health club and spa.
$$$$: below $100
$$$$: $100 – $250
$$$$: $250- $500
$$$$: $500 and up
See all the hotels on a map. (Google Maps)